Monday, June 16, 2008

And It Keeps On Rising...

Apparently, that "mini-flood" back in early May was just a warm-up for Mother Nature's big main event. Already 10 feet ABOVE flood stage, my inlaws house is totally engulfed, forcing them from their home. Five blocks away from us, two of the main streets of our downtown are only accessible by boat. My beloved river parkway where I take Lainey to watch the geese (as I just blogged about!) is underwater as well. Here is a photo of that:


And here are a couple of the downtown Davenport/Quad Cities that I took from the SkyBridge:



Fortunately, we personally have only experienced minor basement flooding - which I consider a blessing considering how close we are to the Mississippi and how much damage it has done to others nearby. A few of my good art canvas' were ruined, as well as our Christmas tree and a couple assorted boxes of things. Probably the carpet, too. But luckily, all of this is replaceable. I can only hope we have seen the worst of it and that the waters will start to receed. I imagine there will be quite a few weeks ahead that we try and help my inlaws recover - physically and emotionally - as they repair and rebuild what the Mighty Mississippi has taken away.

No comments: